Security, speed, compliance, and flexibility -- all of these describe lighttpd (pron. lighty) which is rapidly redefining efficiency of a webserver; as it is designed and optimized for high performance environments. With a small memory footprint compared to other web-servers, effective management of the cpu-load, and advanced feature set (FastCGI, SCGI, Auth, Output-Compression, URL-Rewriting and many more) lighttpd is the perfect solution for every server that is suffering load problems. And best of all it's Open Source licensed under the revised BSD license.
lighttpd powers several popular Web 2.0 sites. Its
high speed io-infrastructure allows them to scale several times better with the same hardware than with alternative web-servers.
This fast web server and its development team create a web-server with the needs of the future web in mind:
Its event-driven architecture is optimized for a large number of parallel connections (keep-alive) which is important for high performance AJAX applications.
- new modules, expanded features, rewritten auth framework
- fix bugs introduced in 1.4.40/1.4.41
- new modules, expanded features
- performance: use extended socket/file syscalls and flags
- rewritten auth framework
- updated mod_authn_ldap
- new mod_authn_gssapi
- new mod_authn_mysql
- new mod_deflate
- new mod_geoip
- new mod_uploadprogress
- mod_dirlisting sortable columns
- mod_fastcgi support for authorizer, responder keyed with same path/extension
- mod_cgi permit CGI exec of unreadable files
- mod_scgi support for uwsgi protocol for Python WSGI backends
- add some SSL_* variables to CGI environment
- bug fixes
- remove preemptive shutdown() to backend
- fix backend socket connect issue: enforce wait for POLLWR after EINPROGRESS
- fix crash if ready events on abandoned fd
- fix broken digest auth
- behavior changes
- behavior change in mod_ssi to conform to same CGI env as CGI, FastCGI, SCGI:
- REQUEST_URI is original client request, instead of URI modified by mod_rewrite.
- DOCUMENT_ROOT changes if mod_alias or mod_userdir changes basedir.